Saturday, April 21, 2018

“Ginkgo Love”

My New Hand Dyed and Hand Printed Fabric Design

ArtCloth



 Marie-Therese Wisniowski


Preamble
On this blog spot there are posts that center on my “Wearable Art” (e.g. scarves, digital or analogue created fabric lengths etc.) For your convenience I have listed these posts below.
A Selection of My Scarves
Leaves Transformed: A New Collection of My Digitally Designed Fabrics
My New Silk Rayon Velvet Scarves@Purple Noon Art And Sculpture Gallery
My Fabric Lengths@QSDS
My Fabric Collection:"Oh, Oh Marilyn and Mona!"@Spoonflower
2013 Australian Craft Awards – Finalist
My Scarves@2014 Scarf Festival: "Urban Artscape" Pashminas
My New Scarves and Fabric Lengths
New Range of Silk Neckties - Karma and Akash
AIVA: My New Hand Dyed and Hand Printed Fabric Design
New Colorways For My 'Cultural Graffiti' Fabrics
Byzantine Glow: A New Collection of My Digitally Designed Fabrics
Wall Flower: A New Collection of My Digitally Designed Fabrics
Ink Fern - A New Collection of My Digitally Designed Fabrics
Celebratory Fireworks
My New Silk ArtCloth Scarves
New ‘Unique State’ Silk ArtCloth Scarves
UBIRR - My New Hand Dyed & Printed Fabric Design
Renaissance Man - My New Hand Dyed & Printed Fabric Design
Banksia - My New Hand Dyed and Hand Printed Fabric Design
Ginkgo Love - My New Hand Dyed and Hand Printed Fabric Design
Garden Delights I & II - My New Hand Dyed and Hand Printed Fabric Design
Wallflower III - My New Hand Dyed and Hand Printed Fabric Design
Rainforest Beauty - Collection My New Hand Dyed and Hand Printed Fabric Design
Spring & Autumn Flurry Collection - My New Hand Dyed and Hand Printed Fabric Design
La Volute Collection - My New Hand Dyed and Hand Printed Fabric Design
Urban Butterfly - My New Hand Printed Fabric Design
Acanthus Dream - My New Hand Printed Fabric Design
“Cascading Acanthus” - My New Hand Dyed and Hand Printed Fabric Design
My New Hand Dyed and Hand Printed 'Rainforest Beauty' Pashmina Wraps Collection
My ArtCloth Tea Towels: A New Collection of Digitally Designed Products
Through the Land it Roared . . . ArtCloth Shawl
My New Hand Dyed and Hand Printed ‘Urban Codes - Series 1’ Collection
Urban Moonlight - My Post Graffiti Doily
My New Hand Printed Fabric Design - "Morocco" ArtCloth
‘Vine Glow’
“Bush Banksia’s” Collection"
Releasing My New - ‘Unique State’ ArtCloth Scarves

If you like any of my artworks in the above links, please email me at - Marie-Therese - for pricing and for any other enquiries.


“Ginkgo Love” - Introduction and Concept
Ou-Yang Xiu (1007-1072 A.D.) wrote in a poem to Mei:
"Human nature changes in time. Someone should record the beginning so that future generations can know its (= the Ginkgo) origin. This is thus not only continuing your verse, but also contributing to history".

My new contemporary fabric design, “Ginkgo Love” is based on my trips to Japan and Taiwan and seeing the magnificent, spectacular and tall Ginkgo Biloba tree. It is also known as the Ginkgo Tree or the Maidenhair Tree. The Ginkgo symbolizes peace, longevity, life-death, hope, love, yin yang, east-west etc. The Ginkgo leaf design - with its unique fan shaped leaves - appeared on silk textile paintings, ink illustrations, prints, kimonos, ties, scarves, jewelry items, lacquer ware, ceramic vases and family crests - to mention a few! I also came across many poems featuring the Ginkgo in beautiful calligraphy script.


History of Ginkgo in Japanese Literature
The first description of the Ginkgo found in Japanese literature is of 1530 when the poet Socho wrote in his travel diary (1530) that he had gathered yellow Ginkgo leaves and gave them to someone together with a waka.


In the Edo period the Ginkgo was described as being familiair in everyday life by Kikaku, Buson, Shoha (in haiku) and Ryokan (waka). In this period the Ginkgo is also mentioned in lists of season words used for haiku. Yosano Akiko (1878-1942) and Saito Mokichi (1882-1953) and also ordinary people have composed verses about Ginkgo. 
In prose too, Ginkgo has played an important role as an element by which people were soothed or given energy etc. in various plots of novels or stories. Examples can be found in novels such as “Hakai” by Shimazaki, “Sanshiro” by Natsume and short stories such as “Hana” by Akutagawa.

Many legends are written in Chinese and Japanese relating to the Ginkgo. In Japan the Ginkgo is often used in haiku-poems and is then called 'icho-ba(ne)' meaning Ginkgo-feather[1].


“Ginkgo Love” - Processes
The “Ginkgo Love” range comes in two color ways - one on a black dyed background, the second on a deep violet dyed background. Both feature gold metallic and opaque red imagery on the surface layers. The imagery has been created and printed to capture a modern, timeless and unique design aesthetic.

As with all of my fabric designs, the base fabrics, in this instance cotton, were dyed using time-honored hand dyeing techniques to add visual depth and contrast to the fabric background/s.

Referencing my personal photo files, an image from my travels - characters from a calligraphy scroll - were digitally blown up and translated/carved onto a lino block. Other calligraphy poem text was digitally scaled down and burned onto a silk screen. A silk screen image of floating Ginkgo leaves was created earlier this year.

Using time-honored hand printing processes the dyed fabric/s were lino block printed using gold metallic pigment over the entire length of the fabric/s in a seamless repeat mode. To further create a richly hued and sumptuous surface, the next layer - the calligraphy poem text - was screen printed using gold metallic pigment over the entire length of the fabric/s in a half drop repeat mode. To create the final surface layer - the floating Ginkgo leaves - a high contrast opaque red pigment was screen printed over the entire length of the fabric/s in a half drop repeat mode. The completed fabric design consisted of multiple complex layers of imagery creating a richly hued, multi layered, sumptuous surface and reflected my visual interpretation of my ‘Ginkgo’ experiences in Asia.

The “Ginkgo Love” range can be designed using dark hued background fabric colors for the printing of the gold metallic and red opaque surface layers to create a truly unique and individual statement. “Ginkgo Love” fabric lengths and fat quarters can be used for wearable art, accessories, quilts, furnishing, as framed artworks and interior design projects. Please contact me to discuss further options.


“Ginkgo Love”

View of “Gingko Love” design as fat quarters (close up). The design comes in two color ways - one on a black dyed background (left), the second on a deep violet dyed background (right).

“Ginkgo Love” (full view on dyed black background).
Technique and Material: Dyed, lino block and screen printed employing metallic and opaque pigments on cotton.
Size: 106 cm wide x 180 cm high.

“Ginkgo Love” (close up view on dyed black background).

“Ginkgo Love” (detail view on dyed black background).

“Ginkgo Love” (full view on dyed deep violet background).
Technique and Material: Dyed, lino block and screen printed employing metallic and opaque pigments on cotton.
Size: 106 cm wide x 180 cm high.

“Ginkgo Love” (close up view on dyed deep violet background).

“Ginkgo Love” (detail view on dyed deep violet background).


Reference:
[1] http://kwanten.home.xs4all.nl/art.htm

No comments: