Saturday, September 8, 2012

My Fabric Lengths@QSDS
Wearable Art

Marie-Therese Wisniowski

Preamble
On this blog spot there are posts that center on my “Wearable Art” (e.g. scarves, digital or analogue created fabric lengths etc.) For your convenience I have listed these posts below.
A Selection of My Scarves
Leaves Transformed: A New Collection of My Digitally Designed Fabrics
My New Silk Rayon Velvet Scarves@Purple Noon Art And Sculpture Gallery
My Fabric Lengths@QSDS
My Fabric Collection:"Oh, Oh Marilyn and Mona!"@Spoonflower
2013 Australian Craft Awards – Finalist
My Scarves@2014 Scarf Festival: "Urban Artscape" Pashminas
My New Scarves and Fabric Lengths
New Range of Silk Neckties - Karma and Akash
AIVA: My New Hand Dyed and Hand Printed Fabric Design
New Colorways For My 'Cultural Graffiti' Fabrics
Byzantine Glow: A New Collection of My Digitally Designed Fabrics
Wall Flower: A New Collection of My Digitally Designed Fabrics
Ink Fern - A New Collection of My Digitally Designed Fabrics
Celebratory Fireworks
My New Silk ArtCloth Scarves
New ‘Unique State’ Silk ArtCloth Scarves
UBIRR - My New Hand Dyed & Printed Fabric Design
Renaissance Man - My New Hand Dyed & Printed Fabric Design
Banksia - My New Hand Dyed and Hand Printed Fabric Design
Ginkgo Love - My New Hand Dyed and Hand Printed Fabric Design
Garden Delights I & II - My New Hand Dyed and Hand Printed Fabric Design
Wallflower III - My New Hand Dyed and Hand Printed Fabric Design
Rainforest Beauty - Collection My New Hand Dyed and Hand Printed Fabric Design
Spring & Autumn Flurry Collection - My New Hand Dyed and Hand Printed Fabric Design
La Volute Collection - My New Hand Dyed and Hand Printed Fabric Design
Urban Butterfly - My New Hand Printed Fabric Design
Acanthus Dream - My New Hand Printed Fabric Design
“Cascading Acanthus” - My New Hand Dyed and Hand Printed Fabric Design
My New Hand Dyed and Hand Printed 'Rainforest Beauty' Pashmina Wraps Collection
My ArtCloth Tea Towels: A New Collection of Digitally Designed Products
Through the Land it Roared . . . ArtCloth Shawl
My New Hand Dyed and Hand Printed ‘Urban Codes - Series 1’ Collection
Urban Moonlight - My Post Graffiti Doily
My New Hand Printed Fabric Design - "Morocco" ArtCloth
‘Vine Glow’
“Bush Banksia’s” Collection"
Releasing My New - ‘Unique State’ ArtCloth Scarves

If you like any of my artworks in the above links, please email me at - Marie-Therese - for pricing and for any other enquiries.


Introduction
Linda Fowler and Nancy Crow founded the annual "Quilt Surface Design Symposium" (QSDS) in 1990. The symposium is currently directed by Tracy Rieger, who aspires to bring together people in a sharing environment in order to work intensely on their quilts with some of the best teachers in the world.

This symposium aims to connect the participants with other innovative quilt artists from around the world in order to exchange ideas, gain new perspectives and to stretch one’s creative potential. The symposium enables participants to find the latest trends in fabric design in order to improve their artwork. A broad range of unique fabrics, supplies and embellishments are available every day in the Vendor Mall that debuts the latest fabrics designed for quilt making.

The symposium’s classes are held at the Columbus College of Art and Design (CCAD) - located in downtown Columbus. It is adjacent to the Columbus Museum of Art and Columbus State College. There is twenty-four-hour security and on-site campus parking. The state-of-the art studio classrooms are just steps away from the new dormitory and cafeteria. Hence most participants would need to walk just 50 yards a day. All buildings are handicap-accessible.

The twenty-second Annual QSDS was held in 2012. It welcomed all levels of quilt artists, traditional quilters, textile artists, and surface designers. Anyone interested in working with fabric and ready to challenge the boundaries between what is considered craft and fine-art. Classes were held in composition, color, design, embroidery, appliqué, hand quilting, machine quilting, piecing, dyeing, tie-dye, batik, bead embellishment and creating realism with fabrics.

Each year QSDS has an annual competition - the purpose of which is to encourage the production of unusual fabrics. This juried competition of excellent hand-dyed, printed, batik, discharged and painted fabrics showcases the most current trends in surface design on silk, cotton and wool. The QSDS Fabric Show was exhibited at the University Plaza Conference Centre, Oval Room, Columbus, Ohio, USA.

The following images feature some of my fabric lengths that have been juried, exhibited and awarded prizes at various QSDS Fabric Shows. These fabric lengths were specifically designed for the production of wearable art (e.g. scarves, clothes etc.) or to feature as a component in the production of art quilts; that is, they are not in themselves specific artworks and so they can be readily cut by the purchaser into different shaped sizes to suit their particular needs. Hence, they are labeled as fabric lengths rather than ArtCloth works. Nevertheless, the Australian collector who purchased - Uluru Sunset - has it hung on a hall wall facing a double-door front entrance.


My Fabric Lengths@QSDS

2007 QSDS Fabric Show.
Title: Circular Momentum (full view).
Size: 47 inches (length) x 44 inches (width).
Techniques/Media: Dyed, multiple over dyes including clamp resist, discharged, multiple silkscreen prints and foil on cotton employing dyes and pigments.
Awarded: Honorable Mention by juror Arturo Alonzo Sandoval, Professor of Art, University of Kentucky, USA.
Sold: Private Collector, USA.

2007 QSDS Fabric Show.
Title: Circular Momentum (detail view).

2009 QSDS Fabric Show.
Title: #2 (full view).
Size: 75 inches (length) x 45 inches (width).
Techniques/Media: Dyed, multiple over dyes including clamp resist, multiple silkscreen prints, lino block, stamping and foiling on lurex cotton employing dyes and pigment.
Awarded: Honorable Mention by juror Sue Benner, Artist, USA.
Available for purchase.

2009 QSDS Fabric Show.
Title: #2 (detail view).

2010 QSDS Fabric Show.
Title: Uluru Sunset (full view).
Size: 3 yards (length) x 45 inches (width).
Techniques/Media: Hand painting, multiple silkscreen prints, discharge and foil on silk habotai employing dyes and pigment.
Awarded: Second Place Prize by juror Judy Hooworth, Artist, Australia.
Sold: Private Collector, Queensland, Australia.

2010 QSDS Fabric Show.
Title: Uluru Sunset (detail view).
Photograph: Linda Fowler, QSDS.

2010 QSDS Fabric Show.
Title: Sunset Reflections (full view).
Size: 2.5 yards (length) x 45 inches (width).
Techniques/Media: Multiple silkscreen prints on silk habotai employing dyes.
Available for purchase.

2010 QSDS Fabric Show.
Title: Sunset Reflections (detail view).

2012 QSDS Fabric Show.
Title: FP#1 (full view).
Size: 75 inches (length) x 45 inches (width).
Techniques/Media: Dyed, multiple over dyes, shibori over dye, discharged, over discharged, silk screened and foiled on silk habotai employing dyes.
Available for purchase.

2012 QSDS Fabric Show.
Title: FP#1 (detail view).

2012 QSDS Fabric Show.
Title: FP#2 (full view).
Size: 78 inches (length) x 45 inches (width).
Techniques/Media: Dyed, multiple over dyes, discharged, over discharged, hand drawing, silk screened and foiled on silk habotai employing dyes.
Available for purchase.

2012 QSDS Fabric Show.
Title: FP#2 (detail view).

6 comments:

Annette said...

these are gorgeous... wow..

hugs

Linda’s Textiles said...

Stunning fabrics Marie-Therese!

web design Bangalore said...

good blog. website design bangalore

Unknown said...

You are just an expert in creating new improvising colors colors...
art supplies

Website design in Bangalore said...

great post.

Web designing in Bangalore

Art Quill Studio said...

Thanks everyone for your kind words and comments ! I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed reading about the QSDS symposium and seeing some of my fabric lengths that have been exhibited at the QSDS Fabric Shows. 

I feel privileged that I can create my fabrics and wearables using time honored and complex surface design techniques.