Saturday, February 24, 2018

UBIRR
 - My New Hand Dyed & Printed Fabric Design
Wearable Art

Marie-Therese Wisniowski


Preamble
On this blog spot there are posts that center on my “Wearable Art” (e.g. scarves, digital or analogue created fabric lengths etc.) For your convenience I have listed these posts below.
A Selection of My Scarves
Leaves Transformed: A New Collection of My Digitally Designed Fabrics
My New Silk Rayon Velvet Scarves@Purple Noon Art And Sculpture Gallery
My Fabric Lengths@QSDS
My Fabric Collection:"Oh, Oh Marilyn and Mona!"@Spoonflower
2013 Australian Craft Awards – Finalist
My Scarves@2014 Scarf Festival: "Urban Artscape" Pashminas
My New Scarves and Fabric Lengths
New Range of Silk Neckties - Karma and Akash
AIVA: My New Hand Dyed and Hand Printed Fabric Design
New Colorways For My 'Cultural Graffiti' Fabrics
Byzantine Glow: A New Collection of My Digitally Designed Fabrics
Wall Flower: A New Collection of My Digitally Designed Fabrics
Ink Fern - A New Collection of My Digitally Designed Fabrics
Celebratory Fireworks
My New Silk ArtCloth Scarves
New ‘Unique State’ Silk ArtCloth Scarves
UBIRR - My New Hand Dyed & Printed Fabric Design
Renaissance Man - My New Hand Dyed & Printed Fabric Design
Banksia - My New Hand Dyed and Hand Printed Fabric Design
Ginkgo Love - My New Hand Dyed and Hand Printed Fabric Design
Garden Delights I & II - My New Hand Dyed and Hand Printed Fabric Design
Wallflower III - My New Hand Dyed and Hand Printed Fabric Design
Rainforest Beauty - Collection My New Hand Dyed and Hand Printed Fabric Design
Spring & Autumn Flurry Collection - My New Hand Dyed and Hand Printed Fabric Design
La Volute Collection - My New Hand Dyed and Hand Printed Fabric Design
Urban Butterfly - My New Hand Printed Fabric Design
Acanthus Dream - My New Hand Printed Fabric Design
“Cascading Acanthus” - My New Hand Dyed and Hand Printed Fabric Design
My New Hand Dyed and Hand Printed 'Rainforest Beauty' Pashmina Wraps Collection
My ArtCloth Tea Towels: A New Collection of Digitally Designed Products
Through the Land it Roared . . . ArtCloth Shawl
My New Hand Dyed and Hand Printed ‘Urban Codes - Series 1’ Collection
Urban Moonlight - My Post Graffiti Doily
My New Hand Printed Fabric Design - "Morocco" ArtCloth
‘Vine Glow’
“Bush Banksia’s” Collection"
Releasing My New - ‘Unique State’ ArtCloth Scarves

If you like any of my artworks in the above links, please email me at - Marie-Therese - for pricing and for any other enquiries.


UBIRR - Introduction[1]
Ubirr Rock is a world-famous site of Aboriginal Rock Art on the edge of the Nadab floodplain in the traditional lands of the Gagudju people. Ubirr (also known as "Obiri Rock") is the best-known site of Aboriginal prehistoric art in Kakadu National Park, Arnhem Land, in Australia's Northern Territory. Some of Ubirr's Stone Age art is believed to date to the era of Paleolithic art, perhaps as far back as 30,000 BCE or even earlier. However, as in the case of the Burrup Peninsula rock art, this is merely a general estimate, as no painting at Ubirr has actually been carbon-dated to such an early period.

Archeological evidence and carbon dating reveals that by 50,000 BCE the earliest Aboriginals were already using color pigments (high grade haematite, red and yellow ochre). Pre-estuarine Period art begins in primitive fashion before depicting different types of humans/tribes, their hunting habits, mode of dress, and aspects of spiritual life. It is represented by several styles - one which depicts human male figures shown in headdresses and skirts, with necklaces and pendants, and armed with clubs, stone axes and barbed spears.


UBIRR - Concept and Techniques/Processes
My new fabric design, UBIRR, is based on my interpretation of the aboriginal rock art found at Ubirr Rock. Creating new contemporary drawings, my lino block carved imagery designs depict humans/tribal figures overlaid/printed with images of deconstructed shields symbolizing the hunting/weaponry of early Aboriginal tribes. The designs have been translated to create a new, unique and contemporary fabric design that encapsulates the extraordinary evolution of Aboriginal Rock art.

Employing colors that reference the black/grey mineral haematite, red ochre and yellow/pale ochre, white cotton fabrics were dyed using time honoured hand dyeing techniques to add visual depth, pattern and contrast to the fabric background - the first series in black-grey hues using two different shibori techniques - the second series in multi colored red-yellow ochre hues. Using time honoured hand printing processes, block printed imagery was printed over each entire fabric length in a repeat pattern. To build additional layers of complex imaging a second layer of lino block imagery was printed in a repeat, grid style format over each entire fabric length.

The design comes in two sets of colorways that compliment each other. The first set consists of white and red lino block imagery printed on a black-grey background, with the second complimentary design being printed in black and white. The second set consists of white and black lino block imagery printed on a red-yellow ochre background, with the second complimentary design being printed in black and yellow/pale ochre.

The fabric and patterning in UBIRR can be designed using colors of your choice to create a truly unique and individual statement. UBIRR fabric lengths can be used for wearable art, accessories, quilts, furnishing and interior design projects. Please email me at - Marie-Therese - to discuss further options.

View of UBIRR design as fat quarters. The image features the first colorway sets of white and red lino block imagery printed on a black-grey background, with the second complimentary design being printed in black and white on a black-grey background.


UBIRR (full view) of white and red overprinted lino block imagery on a black-grey shibori dyed background.
Size: 113 cm wide x 100 cm high printed on cotton.


UBIRR detail view of white and red overprinted lino block imagery on a black-grey shibori dyed background.


Black-grey shibori dyed background used for the above fabric design employing random patterning technique.


UBIRR full view of black and white overprinted lino block imagery on a black-grey shibori dyed background.
Size: 113 cm wide x 100 cm high printed on cotton.


UBIRR detail view of black and white overprinted lino block imagery on a black-grey shibori dyed background.


Black-grey shibori dyed background used for the above fabric design employing multi fold patterning technique.


View of UBIRR design as fat quarters. The image features the second colorway sets of black and yellow/pale ochre lino block imagery printed on a red-yellow ochre background, with the second complimentary design being printed in white and black on a red-yellow ochre background.


UBIRR full view of white and black overprinted lino block imagery on a red-yellow ochre multi dyed background.
Size: 113 cm wide x 100 cm high printed on cotton.


UBIRR detail view of white and and black overprinted lino block imagery on a red-yellow ochre multi dyed background.


Red-yellow ochre multi dyed background used for the above fabric design employing random patterning technique.


UBIRR full view of black and yellow/pale ochre overprinted lino block imagery on a red-yellow ochre multi dyed background.
Size: 113 cm wide x 100 cm high printed on cotton.


UBIRR detail view of black and yellow/pale ochre overprinted lino block imagery on a red-yellow ochre multi dyed background.


Red-yellow ochre multi dyed background used for the above fabric design employing random patterning technique.


Reference
[1] Encyclopedia of Stone Age Art - http://www.visual-arts-cork.com

No comments: