Saturday, May 26, 2018

“Spring & Autumn Flurry” Collection

My New Hand Dyed and Hand Printed Fabric Design

ArtCloth

Marie-Therese Wisniowski



Preamble
On this blog spot there are posts that center on my “Wearable Art” (e.g. scarves, digital or analogue created fabric lengths etc.) For your convenience I have listed these posts below.
A Selection of My Scarves
Leaves Transformed: A New Collection of My Digitally Designed Fabrics
My New Silk Rayon Velvet Scarves@Purple Noon Art And Sculpture Gallery
My Fabric Lengths@QSDS
My Fabric Collection:"Oh, Oh Marilyn and Mona!"@Spoonflower
2013 Australian Craft Awards – Finalist
My Scarves@2014 Scarf Festival: "Urban Artscape" Pashminas
My New Scarves and Fabric Lengths
New Range of Silk Neckties - Karma and Akash
AIVA: My New Hand Dyed and Hand Printed Fabric Design
New Colorways For My 'Cultural Graffiti' Fabrics
Byzantine Glow: A New Collection of My Digitally Designed Fabrics
Wall Flower: A New Collection of My Digitally Designed Fabrics
Ink Fern - A New Collection of My Digitally Designed Fabrics
Celebratory Fireworks
My New Silk ArtCloth Scarves
New ‘Unique State’ Silk ArtCloth Scarves
UBIRR - My New Hand Dyed & Printed Fabric Design
Renaissance Man - My New Hand Dyed & Printed Fabric Design
Banksia - My New Hand Dyed and Hand Printed Fabric Design
Ginkgo Love - My New Hand Dyed and Hand Printed Fabric Design
Garden Delights I & II - My New Hand Dyed and Hand Printed Fabric Design
Wallflower III - My New Hand Dyed and Hand Printed Fabric Design
Rainforest Beauty - Collection My New Hand Dyed and Hand Printed Fabric Design
Spring & Autumn Flurry Collection - My New Hand Dyed and Hand Printed Fabric Design
La Volute Collection - My New Hand Dyed and Hand Printed Fabric Design
Urban Butterfly - My New Hand Printed Fabric Design
Acanthus Dream - My New Hand Printed Fabric Design
“Cascading Acanthus” - My New Hand Dyed and Hand Printed Fabric Design
My New Hand Dyed and Hand Printed 'Rainforest Beauty' Pashmina Wraps Collection
My ArtCloth Tea Towels: A New Collection of Digitally Designed Products
Through the Land it Roared . . . ArtCloth Shawl
My New Hand Dyed and Hand Printed ‘Urban Codes - Series 1’ Collection
Urban Moonlight - My Post Graffiti Doily
My New Hand Printed Fabric Design - "Morocco" ArtCloth
‘Vine Glow’
“Bush Banksia’s” Collection"
Releasing My New - ‘Unique State’ ArtCloth Scarves

If you like any of my artworks in the above links, please email me at - Marie-Therese - for pricing and for any other enquiries.


“Spring & Autumn Flurry” Collection - Introduction, Concept and Processes
I am fortunate to live close to the iconic Australian wine-growing region, the Hunter Valley in New South Wales. Because of the wine produced in this region, each season is important due to the various stages of the process. In summer the region comes alive with the harvest and wine growers are at their peak. In autumn, the abundant foliage of the Hunter Valley turns into beautiful shades of browns, oranges, reds and golds saturating the landscape with spectacular scenery. Winter is a time for rest, with the region being popular as a comfortable, snug getaway. In spring, the landscape is ready to be reborn and the once bare and stark vines spring to life with delicate light green foliage and flowers blooming everywhere.

My new, contemporary fabric design collection, “Spring & Autumn Flurry” stems from a unique series of designs that I created employing various mark making techniques and imagery to give a sense of the flurry of activity that occurs during the spring and autumn grape growing seasons in the Hunter region. With flowers and insects abounding among the vines I have endeavored to capture the ‘flurry’ of activity in a modern, timeless and unique design aesthetic.

The “Spring & Autumn Flurry”” Collection comes in two design formats and a number of color ways – “Spring Flurry” comes in three color ways - green, purple and magenta-red hues whilst “Autumn Flurry” comes in a multi color way.

“Spring Flurry”
As with all of my fabric designs, white fabrics, in this case cotton, were dyed and/or over dyed using time-honored hand dyeing techniques to add visual depth, pattern and contrast to the fabric background/s. To create visual depth using time-honored hand printing processes, the fabrics were then screen printed with multiple layers of hand drawn images, which give a sense of spectacular swirling and vibrant movement over the entire fabric lengths. Colors referenced the base dyed fabric hues which were inspired by the grape varieties grown in the Hunter Valley - chardonnay, semillon and verdelho among the whites, shiraz, cabernet sauvignon and merlot among the reds - with a final layer being printed in black giving contrast to the design. My hand drawn deconstructed flower/butterfly images were screen printed/over printed in a random, floating pattern over the entire fabric length. White pigment was employed to give contrast and visual depth to the richly hued and multi layered design.

“Autumn Flurry”
White cotton fabric was dyed in various ‘autumnal’ colors using time-honored hand dyeing techniques to add visual depth, pattern and contrast to the fabric background. The dye colors were heavily applied to certain sections of the fabric leaving softer hue applications throughout other sections of the piece. This gave the fabric design a rich colored and luminous base giving a sense of changing seasonal hues and varying degrees of light.

To create visual depth using time-honored hand printing processes, the fabric was then screen printed with multiple layers of hand drawn images in various ‘autumnal’ hues, which gives a sense of spectacular swirling and vibrant movement over the entire fabric length. Colors referenced the base dyed fabric hues. Employing opaque and metallic pigments, images of scattered, decaying botanic flora and leaves were screen printed/over printed in a random, floating pattern over the entire fabric length giving contrast and visual depth to the richly hued and multi layered design.

The fabric and patterning in the “Spring & Autumn Flurry” Collection is available in the color ways that are mentioned so that you are able to create a truly unique and individual statement piece. “Spring & Autumn Flurry” Collection fabric lengths and fat quarters can be used for wearable art, accessories, quilts, furnishing, as framed artworks and interior design projects. Please contact me to discuss further options.


“Spring Flurry”

“Spring Flurry” is available in green, purple and magenta-red hues (close view).
Technique and Material: Dyed/over dyed and screen printed employing transparent and opaque pigments on cotton.
Size: 97 cm wide x 110 cm high (each).

“Spring Flurry” in green hues (close up view).

“Spring Flurry” in green hues (detail view).

“Spring Flurry” in purple hues (close up view).

“Spring Flurry” in purple hues (detail view).

“Spring Flurry” in magenta - red hues (close up view).

“Spring Flurry” in magenta - red hues (detail view).


“Autumn Flurry”

“Autumn Flurry” is available in a multi color way employing ‘autumnal’ hues (close view).
Technique and Material: Dyed/hand painted and screen printed employing transparent, opaque and metallic pigments on cotton.
Size: 52 cm wide x 178 cm high / 52 cm wide x 117 cm high.

Autumn Flurry” in a multi color way employing ‘autumnal’ hues (close up view).

“Autumn Flurry” in a multi color way employing ‘autumnal’ hues (detail view 1).

“Autumn Flurry” in a multi color way employing ‘autumnal’ hues (detail view 2).

“Autumn Flurry” in a multi color way employing ‘autumnal’ hues (detail view 3).

No comments: