Sunday, December 26, 2010

Autumn Visions I & II
(Exhibition - ArtCloth: Engaging New Visions)

Jurate Petruskeviciene (Lithuania)

Preamble
This blogspot contains posts of artworks that have featured in my curated international exhibition - ArtCloth: Engaging New Visions. For your convenience I have listed these posts below.
ArtCloth: Engaging New Visions (Marie-Therese Wisniowski - Curator's Talk)
Sequestration of CO2 (Engaging New Visions) M-T. Wisniowski
Sacred Planet I (Engaging New Visions) J. Dunnewold
Under Pressure (Engaging New Visions) L.A. Beehler
lo Rising II & Giza (Engaging New Visions) R. Benson
Etruscan Relic (Engaging New Vision) J. Raffer Beck
Catch The Light 1 & 2 (Engaging New Visions) J. Schulze
Emerge (Engaging New Visions) J. Truckenbrod
Breathe Deeply (Engaging New Visions) C. Benn
Die Gedanken Sind Frei 3 & 4 (Engaging New Visions) C. Helmer
Black Birds I & II (Engaging New Visions) C. Holmes
Razing/Raising Walls, Warsaw (Engaging New Visions) N. Starszakowna
Quite Alone Oasis… (Engaging New Visions) J. Urbiene
Nothing Is The Same I & II (Engaging New Visions) E. van Baarle
Discharge Thundercloud (Engaging New Visions) K. Kagajo
Shroud Of Ancient Echoes I & II (Engaging New Visions) S. Fell-McLean
Cane Toad Narrative (Engaging New Visions) H. Lancaster
Visionary and Eclipse (Engaging New Vision) J. Ryder
Untitled ArtWorks (Engaging New Vision) Tjariya (Nungalka) Stanley and Tjunkaya Tapaya
Treescape (Engaging New Vision) A. Trevillian


Introduction
Here are the weekly contributions by the Europeans to ArtCloth: Engaging New Visions.

The catalog of the exhibition is far more detailed in terms of opening addresses and artist’s biographies, curriculum vitae and statements etc. and moreover, is a holistic record of the exhibition itself.


Synopsis of Artwork: Autumn Visions I & II
Among all techniques I prefer natural dyeing on silk to chemical ones. There are about 80 dyeing plants in Lithuania and I have been using exceptionally these dyes for several years now. Dominating gamut consists of yellow ranging to brown, sometimes greenish brown mixed with gray. Various reagents allow to obtain different hues. I am excited working with iron rust, which provides unexpected results when combined with natural dyes.

In my work - Autumn Visions I & II - black currants were used in order to obtain grey color. For yellow I use Yellow Chamomile. For dark violet I introduced brasil wood dyes (imported ones) this time as well. For background I used Mokume Shibori (Japanese resist dyeing) to create an impression of vibrancy, something similar to wood crust or grass. Autumn colors range from yellow to dark violet and symbolizes changes in nature in this time of year. A lot of sun, yellow color of late autumn flowers during the time of Indian summer and later on plenty of darkness and preparedness for sleep.


Techniques
Mokume Shibori, natural dyeing on silk.
Size: 130 cm (width) x 300 cm (length) for each artwork.

(a) Autumn Visions I & II (Jurate Petruskeviciene) Fairfield City Museum and Art Gallery, NSW, Australia.
Photograph courtesy Marie-Therese Wisniowski.

(b) Autumn Visions I & II (Jurate Petruskeviciene) dyptich artwork on right (see earlier posts for other artworks).
Orange Regional Art Gallery, NSW, Australia.
Photograph courtesy Marie-Therese Wisniowski.

(c) Autumn Visions I & II (Jurate Petruskeviciene) dyptich artwork on right (see earlier posts for other artworks).
Redcliffe City Art Gallery, Queensland, Australia.
Photograph courtesy Marie-Therese Wisniowski.

(d) Autumn Visions I & II (Jurate Petruskeviciene) dyptich artwork on right (see earlier posts for other artworks).
Wangaratta Art Gallery, Victoria, Australia.
Photograph courtesy Marie-Therese Wisniowski.

(e) Autumn Visions I & II (Jurate Petruskeviciene) - full view.

(f) Autumn Visions I (Jurate Petruskeviciene)  - detailed view.

(g) Autumn Visions II (Jurate Petruskeviciene) - detailed view.

No comments: